Students you might be homesick by now so here are some tips to get homesickness out of the way especially if you are new to the country.
- Don’t stay in your room a lot
- Instead go out and socialise. Join a club. There are lots of clubs at uni and there is one that is bound to interest you. The more you are isolated the worse the homesick feeling gets.Talk to your family and friends back home
- Do keep in contact with them because if you don’t you might end up losing them. You can Skype, write, mail or WhatsApp.
- Exercise- You don’t need to go to the gym for this if you don’t have the money. However you could sign up for a marathon if you are a lazy person who needs a reason to exercise. Then this way you could join a focus group to get some hints into running your first marathon.
- Running a marathon is fun but you need to be healthy and focussed on finishing the race.
- Be realistic about your studies – seek help when you need to. Everyone will have their down periods. Go to the Study and learning center in your uni or see your university’s free counselling service which is there for all students.
- Explore new areas- for example the countryside and spend a day out there.
- Do visit the countryside on a weekend or during your break. You could even go running in the country. Or there is that market or foodie event going on there.
- Be positive-smile.
People love to see someone who is always happy. What are some of your best ways to deal with homesickness?