Are you coming to the Melbourne Marathon and don’t know what to bring to Melbourne for that weekend? Here’s a list of all the things that you will need in Melbourne
Your comfy pj’s- Melbourne is known to be cool at night
Your drink bottle- you will need this for the race. On course there is water and drinks but not much of it. As for me I like to know what I’m drinking.
A small bag of toiletries- you don’t need a lot and Melbourne has many stores in where you can buy a few things
Energy gels- you only need about two or three. There are a few health food shops that sell the gels, but bring your own just in case as many of the stores might not be open on weekends
Toilet paper for the run-you can buy toilet paper in Melbourne or bring some from home
Safety pins- for your bib that is. But if you forget you can always buy them at Daiso which is $2.80 and there are two stores in the city: QV and Flinders st.
Socks and underwear- 3-5 changes is plenty. But if you are staying for the week then more would be a great idea
Protein bars and shakes- Melbourne will have plenty but they might not have your brand. Some of the health food stores might not be open on the weekend
Runners- make sure that you are comfortable in them. You don’t want blisters on your foot.
A change of clothes or two- maybe a nice pair of jeans and top for going out to dinner
Camera- to take photos
Your supplements- the chemist might not have your preferred supplement.
Tampons and pads if you are a lady- we have lots of brands at the chemist and supermarket but we may not have your brand in Melbourne (especially if you are an overseas visitor).
Money and credit cards- don’t forget the travellers cheques if you are from overseas.
A mobile phone
A previously owned MYKI if you have. Otherwise a new one is $6 and then there is all the hassle of topping it up.
Insurance- in case something goes wrong or if you lose a bag.
Tablets- We have plenty of brands here but you might be more comfortable to use your own. Just bring enough for the length of stay in Melbourne.
An iPad would be useful but make sure that you don’t lose it.
You don’t need
- Food- Melbourne has plenty of cuisines to suit your budget. In most cases food from other countries is not allowed.
- Water- we have lots. There are lots of free taps all over the city and the place that you are staying at might have some
- Towels- the hotel will have one. Just a small one to wipe your face is fine.
- Bedding- the hotels have plenty but you might want to bring a sheet or two
- Laundry powder- we have laundromats and the supermarkets will stock some if your hotel has a machine in each room.
- House keys- one less thing to worry about losing. Get a family member or a relative to look after your keys if you can. Get them to drop you off at the airport. Then parking would be one less thing to worry about. Keys is another one less thing to worry about at the security line.
- Scissors- another less thing to worry about at the airport security. Your hotel might have scissors
- Knifes and utensils- we have lots here. And your